Sunday, August 31, 2008

Dahlias & Smooshing

This is a Dahlia pic that I shot yesterday. Once a year, the Love House Dahlias in Ventura, Ca. open the gates to their 4 acre ranch for the public to come in & look at the 300+ varieties of Dahlias. I chased this butterfly over all 4 acres I think, trying to catch this picture.












To Bee or not to be......















These are 3x5 stampboard pieces that I have done the "smoosh" technique on the background with Memories Mist. Again I spray the background with a light color (gold or yellow) then drizzle or splatter a little more ink about. Then, I put the two pieces together. The colors run together & you can even slide it around a bit for a little more variation. Memories Mist is one of my favorites. I love the different looks you can achieve with it.
















5 comments:

GAIL said...

The smoosh reminds me of ironing crayons in wax paper when I was young. I used to love seeing the results.

Jacqueline TresBella said...

I like this technique of "smooshing" it's very pretty

Jacqueline

Michi Michaelson, Orange County, CA said...

That's a funny story about chasing the bee for 4 acres in order to photograph it, Diane!!!! LOL!!!!! I LOVE your smooshing technique samples! They're GORGEOUS! You have beautiful artwork in your blog!!! It's WONDERFUL!!!!

Diane said...

Thanks to all of you for stopping by & leaving such nice comments.

Anonymous said...

smoosh, you have to teach me....and gail is right....crayons and wax....but this is way better.....hey, the butterfly story, i wish i could have seen the video of that......great photos.....